A gust of wind overtook me, causing my head to snap back into reality. I was standing on top of a metal circle. Each one of my competitors was in a similar atmosphere, underground in a dark room. The metal circles unexpectedly began to rise. I shook my arms out like I used to do before one of my shows. I could feel electricity bounding down from my shoulders to my fingertips as I tried to stretch out. I again thought of what my mom had said to me about being strong for everyone back home but also being strong for myself.

The circle continued moving upward as I stood on top of it. A small roof-like opening unlatched above me and bright, radiant light came pouring in. This would sure be a disadvantage for me and all the other tributes, as the sun would create a very hot and shining environment making it incredibly hard to see. The circles stopped moving up, as all of the tributes were visible above ground.

There was a faint beeping sound in the distance that gradually increased in volume. Then when ten seconds were left, an announcer said the numbers.

“Ten..nine..eight..seven.” The voice boomed as if trying to scare us. I touched my ears quickly as again I was reminded of the power that I had. I decided then that I would use it as my secret weapon. I would fight harder and stronger than I had ever fought before. My earrings reassured me that I was better than everyone else and that no one could defeat me.  As the announcer was just about to reach zero, I took a deep breath and clenched my fists.  I looked  around at my other competitors. Let’s go, I thought to myself. I can take them. These kids won’t now what hit them when I’m done with them. I’m the main attraction; I’m the main event. I will be the champion and if anyone tries to get in my way then, just like any other great ruler would say, “OFF WITH THEIR HEAD!”

“Go!” I heard roar over the loudspeaker.Let’s do this.

3 thoughts on “Ladies and Gentlemen, Let the Eightieth Hunger Games Begin!

1. I thought your post was pretty good, I liked being able to know what you were thinking right before the Games started and the use of descriptive words. One thing I did not like was that you never really explained the arena you were in, I do not know if there is water nearby or if the terrain in rocky or has lots of trees, so it is very hard for me to imagine where you are. Overall, the post was good, but it could have been better.

2. A great piece! I think I may have missed some things due to the hard-to-read font, but from what I did understand, it seems all great. One of the best attention getters I’ve read (it will receive my nomination) and by far the most realistic and down-to-earth I’ve read. It just seems so lifelike that it could easily have been from another hunger games novel. The only advice I have to offer is to use some deeper similies: “The voice boomed as if trying to scare us.” is not exactly the strongest ever. However, it was one of the best pieces so far.

3. This was great to read! I could imagine everything perfectly, although when it came to the end, I had no idea what the arena looked like. I also had trouble reading the font, this not being a major issue but just for further notice :). I also thought that your descriptive words were amazing and contributed well in helping the reader visualize what was going on! Overall, this was a great writing piece!